Deer Spirit, Totem, & Power Animal Symbolism and Meaning 1200x1200

Deer Symbolism & Meaning

Do you wish to move through this world with more grace?

Have you become hardened and want to dream more love into your life? Are you moving too slowly and need help hightailing it toward success? as a Spirit, Totem, and Power Animal can help! Deer teaches you how to listen to the wisdom of the Higher Self all while showing you the easiest path along life’s journey. Delve deeply in Deer symbolism and meaning to find out how this animal spirit guide can illuminate, support, and guide you.

Deer Table of Contents

Deer Symbolism & Meaning

Throughout the world Deer symbolizes tenderness tempered with strength. This allows Deer spirit to act even when obstacles challenge the path. Deer also comes as a playmate for our inner child reminding us of innocent times where the smallest flower provided a smile and excitement.

Deer medicine is strongly connected to the heart chakra. Where there is ambition, there is also love for inspiration. Deer, even when running from a predator, remains graceful. This means that Deer spirit appearing in your life acts as a teacher of how to be gentle, determined and sure even in difficult situations. Remember that a gentle soul is not a helpless one. Deer wisdom shows you how to use your great horns for defense.

Deer may also challenge you to leave behind the safety of your grassy bedding for fresh horizons. Ever vigilant, Deer moves often for protection. As you move with her don’t take the negative patterns with you, rather let new surroundings inspire different perspectives. By so doing you create the energies of regeneration and renewal even as Deer’s antlers grow back when they fall off

Deer Spirit Animal

When Deer jumps in as your Spirit Animal, She acts as a reminder of the power of love and compassion. Perhaps there is a situation in your life to which you’ve become apathetic or perceive in a negative light. The challenge here is not to wallow in those unhealthy feelings. It’s time to let Deer energy help you let go and embrace kindness.

Deer spirit also teaches us that peace is a powerful healer.

When you put aside ego and let yourself walk a mile in another’s forest, much of your ire naturally falls off burdened shoulders. In turn, you may be able to truly re-establish a relationship or situation thought long lost.

Just as Deer are ever alert in the forest, make sure to remain mindful and diligently aware of opportunities for bridging the gap(s).

Deer Totem Animal

Those born with Deer as a totem animal are the gentle giants of the spiritual world. They know the value of life’s lessons and appreciate the people who have helped them survive as well as thrive.

Trust and kindness is never overlooked with you – you do everything possible to pay it forward!

With Deer as your Totem Animal, most moves you make are purely instinctual. It might take you longer than most to make up your mind but when you do nothing and nobody can catch you!

Deer people can be very inspiring but they do it with a nudge rather than “horning in”.

Deer are also naturally observant peacemakers, showing the way for communal healing by providing different perspectives from a place of love.

In nature Deer can see well with little light, which gives Deer people the ability to see through the darkness and help guide others to safety and/or home.

Deer Power Animal

Seek out Deer as a Power Animal when you cannot navigate your way through a situation swiftly and peacefully. Deer will help you see the signs of where to walk with assurance.

Deer spirit is also an excellent Power Animal when you are learning clairvoyant arts or practicing other psychic gifts.

Deer helps you “tune in” to the higher self and Astral residents to receive important messages, often about changes in your life.

Native American Deer Symbolic Meanings

Native Americans look to Deer for a successful hunt, but they must offer prayers that promise they will hunt no more than what the tribe absolutely needs.

Some folktales claim that humans were once Deer. South American and South Western tribes both consider them sacred, as ancient caretakers of Mother Earth.

In Northern tribes Deer is mostly connected with fertility of a spirit messenger who offers peace.

Deer as a Celtic Animal Symbol

In Celtic symbolism Deer is both male and female – the Hind is the feminine aspect who can access the fairy world and teaches humans about spirituality.

The stag is the male aspect who has strong ties to the forest and Earth element. The Stag is king of the forest and he protects all creatures therein.

Deer Dreams

Dreams about Deer often has feminine overtones. This is a time to reach out to the Goddess and see her in yourself. By so doing you integrate the characteristics of compassion and gentleness into your very soul, but without sacrificing your sacred self.

Learn more about Deer Spirit by reading <strong>What Do Deer in Dreams Mean? on WhatIsMySpiritAnimal.com!

Deer in Astrology & Zodiac Signs

Deer is one of the 12 Native American Zodiac Signs.

Those born between May 21st and June 20th were born on the sign of the Deer. Deer people are strong yet gentle, and desperately desire the unity of humankind. If Deer is your sign, you are intimately alert – so much so that slight noise may keep you awake at night. The best way to calm this is by meditations focused on your heart beat combined with deep breathing.

Sound is your omen or sign. By listening you will discover where danger lies and how to avoid the hunt. Nonetheless, Deer doesn’t constantly run – they crave family and shared goals. Deer sees all people as potential friends until they prove otherwise.

Click to read the full description of the Native American Zodiac Deer birth totem.

Far Eastern Deer Symbolic Meanings

In China Deer appear on charms and amulets. The character for Deer is one that represents a high paid government job, and symbolizes a wish for same. It also means long life, having associations with the God of Longevity, Shou.

Shamanic Spirit Animal Reading 935x500

***Special Note About Comments***

WhatIsMySpiritAnimal.com is SO blessed to receive TONS of readers and commenters from all over the globe. We have thousands of participants and I would love to personally respond to each comment and question. Though I'm trying to figure out how to be more like the Octopus and have eight arms to work with, for now I only have two. This means I can only respond as time allows. If your Spirit, Totem, or Power Animal question is deeply important to you, perhaps you'll consider booking a Shamanic Spirit Animal Reading with me.

23 Comments

1. RadheKrishna October 7, 2016 at 6:18 am - Reply

Thank you for this post. Much thanks.

• Bernadette King October 10, 2016 at 9:24 pm - Reply

Hi, RadheKrishna;

Please accept my apology. I normally respond much faster. I was on a mini vacation and, then, Hurricane Matthew decided to visit me in Florida. 😉

You are most welcome! And, thank you for visiting WhatIsMySpiritAnimal.com!

Stay wild,
      Bernadette

2. Aly November 24, 2016 at 6:46 am - Reply

Hello,
    Every weekend my husband and I travel with our kids to visit family. My husband is usually behind the wheel, but whenever I drive we come across a deer standing on the side of the road. This has happened about four times within the last month or so; my husband thinks it’s kind of freaky that it only happens when I drive (and I agree!).
    What could these sightings signify??
    I hit a deer about a year ago and the whole experience was very upsetting, I wonder if that has something to do with it (facing my fears?)
    Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

• Bernadette King November 28, 2016 at 2:27 am - Reply

Hello, Aly;

I’m sure sorry you hit a Deer. I know how upsetting these situations can be. I have an article coming out in the next few weeks about what it means when we see our Spirit Animal die or we inadvertently harm or kill them. Sometimes, it can mean that it’s time to move on from that Spirit Animal’s teachings. But, my intuition is telling me that’s the opposite in your case – that, actually, Deer as an animal spirit guide is really trying to get your attention and the urgency of its lessons and medicine are ramping up.

Take some time and truly focus on Deer teachings. See what resonates most with you and integrate it as best you can.

Sure hope that helps.

Stay wild,
      Bernadette

• Aly November 30, 2016 at 5:54 am - Reply

Thanks for your response!! I am currently going through a lot of changes in my life and dealing with a lot of uncertainty and self-doubt; after reading the article above I strongly believe the deer is trying to help me navigate through all of the confusion. Thanks again ?

• Bernadette King December 4, 2016 at 11:46 am - Reply

Hello, Aly;

You are most welcome! Thank you for visiting and commenting on WhatIsMySpiritAnimal.com. Whenever you’re feeling that self-doubt creep in, focus on your Spirit Animal and all that beautiful Deer energy will help you through just as gracefully as a world class ballerina!

Stay wild,
          Bernadette

3. jacquelin February 2, 2017 at 6:13 am - Reply

I enjoyed reading your writings of Deer totems. I’ve lived most of this life in the country but have moved to the city several years ago. My first home was just off one of the main business street and I was amazed when a large doe ran along the outside edge of my fence and paused and we stood there looking at each other. She left gracefully and I felt so privileged to have experienced the moment and feared for her safety. I now live on the opposite side of the same city and also a very busy street and have been visited at least twice a year for the past three years and just last evening, it was dark and I was standing on my porch and saw small bright green flash twice. I looked around and there walking into my front lawn were two beautiful does. Again, we had looked at each other a good while. Amazingly there was no traffic at all. They just walked off calmly. I felt so happy and peaceful for the experience. I’ve no intentions of sharing the experience with anyone but felt compelled to share with you. I’m very glad that I chose your site and feel very reassured for my deer guides. Curious if you might have an insight or message of the meaning of my experience. Thank you for letting me share, Jackie

• Bernadette King February 14, 2017 at 1:23 pm - Reply

Hello,

Apology for delayed reply. I’m finding that having two hands is not enough and I’m looking into getting surgery to become an Octopus. 😉

Thank you for sharing your story. It has a magical feel to it – like something one might see in the quiet moment of a dream or movie. Intuitively, I’m picking up that you have become interested in The Law of Attraction. It feels like you’ve been working to create an energetic bubble around yourself as well as hearth and home. I wonder if you do some kind of healing work as a career or want to do healing work. Deer is coming to tell you that your energetic pursuits are paying off – that Deer offers support so you can stay in your heart chakra, operating at all times from a place of love. However, Deer don’t always hightail it away when trouble is around. Though more usual for the bucks, does will take a stand and can be fierce. I think Deer is asking you to remember that you can be strong as a Sequoia but do not have to be combative. Stand your ground with quiet strength. What you’re dreaming of is on the way.

Hope that helps.

Stay wild,
      Bernadette

4. Jack February 7, 2017 at 8:51 am - Reply

Thank you Bernadette, for the time and energy spent in developing this site. I found your information to be quite intriguing. It is uncanny how accurate the details of deer match my personality. Being a fan of metaphysics, I was surprised that this expression of spirituality has only now, crossed my path. I look forward to the experience that this information will offer me. May God bless and keep you, in Jesus Christ’s name, I pray and I praise you Lord.

5. Eric February 11, 2017 at 1:33 am - Reply

Hi Bernadette,
    Thank you for this posting. Last night I had a very vivid dream about a deer. I didn’t recall the dream until later the next day in the afternoon. Although it was very vivid with a lot of colors all I can recall in detail was a voice saying that “You are a Deer Seer. You have the skin of a deer and the eyes of an eagle.” I’m not familiar with Native American culture or shamanism, but I feel like that’s the best place to start. If you have an idea of what that statement from my dream means your insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you : )

6. AeroHawk March 6, 2017 at 1:05 am - Reply

Hello Bernadette,
    I am hoping you can offer some insight to my dream. This is my second attempt here as the first was turning into a short novel. You can contact me for more details if wanted.

The scene opens with myself and a being on my right out in the meadow. I have a bow and an arrow. As a large doe walks in front of us and stops, I draw the bow and aim but the doe turns lays down in the grass. then the arrow falls off the bow. I asked the being next to me to pick up the arrow ans put it back on the bow for me as I was trying to be quiet but he would not help.I got the arrow back in place and as the doe stood up he said shoot, but I hesitated and then could not take the shot as I was only willing to make a heart shot. When the time came that I finally let the arrow fly it went so slow it hit the doe in the side with a small thud and fell to the ground. She looked at me and turned to walk away. Next I was standing alone at a bonfire, I turned and went over to the next bonfire with 3 beings there and looked deep down into the glowing red and orange coals through the burning logs. It was very quiet, like I some how let them down. I just kept looking for more in
    the glowing coals. Earlier in the dream I traversed a difficult and steep path through the forest. Later in the dream I was in a kitchen where 2 others were showing me how they juice vegetables. and surprising to me it tasted pretty good.

So is the doe helping me to navigate the path I am deciding to take towards a higher spiritual level?
    Is my not being able to shoot the doe and the empty bonfire and feelings represent my feelings of wanting to give more of myself to my family?
    Or was I supposed to ask if the doe was my spirit guide, and that was why I could not harm her. The bonfire was me reflecting on my lost opportunity to meet a spirit guide?
    Could it be all three?

My zodiac is the Bear.

7. Erin March 30, 2017 at 3:07 pm - Reply

I have three roe deer that live in the field behind my house. One day, I went outside while they were out there and just sat there, watching them. They were a bit scared at first but eventually didn’t mind my presence.

Now they come closer to my house when they’re there. Could this mean something?

8. Burke August 29, 2017 at 6:14 pm - Reply

Bernadette hi!
    So, I was going camping with my friend Andrew and he just hit a deer. We’re outside now. The car is kind of totalled and I don’t know what we’re going to do. But you can’t help with that. I’m just so certain that this is big. right? I mean, I think that if I had a spirit animal it would be a tiger, or a cat. Or something. Another website said I was a hummingbird, I dunno. I feel really guilty, though. I know, it’s not my fault. But what does the death of the spirit animal mean. This deer is a doe and that must mean something right? Like worse? We’re two young white dudes, I mean, we killed the symbol and gentleness and feminity. this is bad . How do I reconcile this? Should we eat it? Andrew said that legally we’re allowed to it. But should we bury it under an oak tree or something. I don’t know what’s right here. All i know is what’s wrong. I think we’re the problem.
    If this is an omen or something I need to know what to do.

thanks all the best much love,
    Please help Bernadette.

Burke

• Burke August 29, 2017 at 6:30 pm - Reply

I don’t mean to be rude but as soon as you can reply THAT WOULD BE GREAT. Definitely panicking here.
      Not a joke. I’ve been denying my spiritual self for too long!

all the best much,

BurKe

9. Dori October 14, 2017 at 4:15 am - Reply

Well here goes I feel compelled to share this. A little over a month ago I had some things in my life that were going on and it was upsetting to my whole being. Feeling frustrated and uncertain of what to do I went to the woods to meditate/ pray. I must have meditated for 20 to 30 minutes. When I was done meditating I knew what I needed to do but before I opened my eyes a small still voice or intuitively i knew that when i opened my eyes and looked to my left there would be a deer there as a sign. Ps I did not hear the deer and to look look to my left was specific.so I open my eyes and looked to the left there was a deer walking on the path. It was such an amazing awesome thing. Ì had come to a definite knowing of what I needed to do. Unfortunately when dealìng with a really difficult situation with a loved one it seems easier to be apathetic then to deal with the issues. I kept putting off dealìng with the issues. So last night everything came to abreaking point and I knew the time had come no longer could I put the confrontation off. So I took a drive to prepare myself. As I turned down my street I thought to myself it was odd that in the year I have lived here I had never seen a deer. I have lived in other parts of the city and seen them but never here . Right after that at the next house I saw a deer walking in the yard it stopped and turned its gaze at my car and we stared at each other for quite a while. I felt something so strange in heart.last night the issue was brought to light. I am not sure how it will turn out but I know I am in the right direction. That is why I am on your site because today i needed to gain understanding why a deer. I knew the deer were placed As a reassurance but what was the spiritual meaning. So thank you so much everything I have read fit perfectly with my situation

10. Amanda October 18, 2017 at 7:42 pm - Reply

Hi!
    Several years ago I saw a spiritual medium who told me that I had “two dears” guiding me. She asked if the word dear had any significance to me. It did not then and it does not now… and she also said she saw the word “Hunter”. Anyway, since I couldn’t figure out the meaning of any of it, I considered it a farce. The medium was very accurate in so many other details of our session but for some reason, 8 years have passed and I cannot shake the “dear” comment from my head.
    I have been going through some health/fertility challenges over the past two years. For some reason, I had this nagging thought to look at the paper the medium gave me all those years ago. I see how she wrote dear and I thought maybe she meant DEER… so I look up the symbolism of DEER as my spirit animal. I see they are linked to fertility. If this is what she meant by “dear”, I am still unclear as I have no idea why she saw TWO deer and I don’t know what role this plays in my current fertility challenges. Should I take this as a sign that I will beat these challenges? Can you provide any insight? This feeling is so strong and I can’t shake it.

Thank you!