Crow Facts & Trivia
- Crows live all over the world, except for Antarctica.
- Crows are members of the Corvidae family
- There are about 45 species of crow worldwide
- Mating crows will stay together for many years and even life.
- A common crow will live for about seven years.
- Crows are emotional and will display anger, sadness and happiness.
- Crows are considered song birds.
- Crows have great memories often hiding food in many places and remembering where it is.
- Suburban crows require only 10% of the nesting area a country crow will require.
- Crows will crush an ant and rub it odor on their body like a perfume.
- Pet crows will give their owner’s names a specific sound.
- Female crows like a mate for life, but males will cheat.
- Crows are omnivorous.
- Crow body length ranges from 15-18 inches
- A group of crows is called a “murder.”
- Crows nest in groups of up to 1000 mainly at night.
- The average height for a crow’s nest is about 24 feet.
- Crows travel as far as 40 miles each day from evening roost sites to daytime feeding areas.
- Crows will drop a nut on a street so that a car will run over it and crack it.
- Crows congregate in large numbers in winter to sleep in common roosts.
- The first crows in fact appeared in Miocene, 17 million years ago, in Australia and Oceania.
- Crows are very caring and social animals.
- A crow can imitate a human voice, much like a parrot.
- Crows have been known to carry the West Nile virus.
- American crows are thriving, particularly in association with suburban areas.
- Kingdom: Animalia
- Family: Corvidae
- Genus: Linnaeus
- Heckle and Jeckle 1946
- Dumbo 1941 (Crows)
- A Crow On My Shoulder , by Autumn Blaze
- Black Crow Blues, by Bob Dylan
- Black Crow , by Jackson Browne
- Black Crow , by Joni Mitchell
- Crow On The Cradle , by Joni Mitchell
- Greet the Sacred Crow , by Primus
- Lonesome Crow, by The Scorpions
- Heckle and Jeckle, from Cartoons
- Old Crow, from Whiskey