Butterfly Facts & Trivia
- Butterflies can see red, green, and yellow.
- The Brimstone butterfly is the longest living (10 months).
- Butterflies can range in size from 1/8″ to nearly 12 inches.
- Butterflies have history as far back as 3500 years (Egyptian frescoes at Thebes).
- Butterflies cannot fly if their body temperature is under 86 degrees.
- Lepidoptera is not found on the continent of Antarctica, the only continent to not have them.
- There are about 24,000 species of butterflies.
- Most butterflies can taste with their feet.
- Butterflies use the taste in their feet to find leaves which are good to lay their eggs.
- Originally, butterflies were called “flutterby.”
- A Butterfly’s antennae is always knobbed.
- The color of a butterfly is from tiny scales that are on their wings.
- Adult butterflies do not go to the bathroom.
- Butterflies can travel from 5 mph to a top speed of 30 mph.
- The Monarch Butterfly loves to travel and will go as far as 2500 miles.
- Kingdom: Animalia
- Phylum: Arthropoda
- Class: Insecta
- Order: Carnivora
- Family: Lepidoptera
- Flight of the Butterflies (2012)
- The Incredible Journey of the Butterflies-A PBS Video (2009)The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (2007)
- Butterfly (1982)
- Bullet With Butterfly Wings, by Smashing Pumpkins
- Butterfly, by Jason Mraz
- Butterfly, by Mariah Carey
- Butterfly, by Corinne Bailey Rae
- Butterfly Kisses, by Bob Carlisle
- The Elusive Butterfly, Bob Lind
- The Three Butterflies, Stories for Kids