Cricket Facts & Trivia
- Cricket is an insect that belongs to the order Orthoptera.
- There are 900 species of crickets
- Crickets are normally 1-2 inches long, depending on the species.
- Crickets can be green, brown, black or red in color.
- Crickets have two pairs of wings.
- Crickets have one pair of antennas for detecting movement of food and prey.
- Crickets have excellent eyesight with compound eyes.
- Only the make cricket chirps.
- Crickets cannot fly, despite having wings.
- Crickets are nocturnal creatures (night)
- Crickets are omnivores eating decaying plant material, fungi, and seedling plants.
- Crickets in the wild live less than a year.
- Crickets are found throughout the world.
- Female crickets can lay up to 200 eggs at a time.
- Crickets have excellent hearing ability.
- Cricket chirping varies by the temperature
- Crickets sing after successful mating
- Cricket;s ears are located on their knees.
- Crickets molt as they grow
- Most crickets lives on the ground, but can be found underground, in trees and caves.
- Crickets are a symbol of good luck.
- Chinese people held crickets as pets in the past.
- Several species of crickets are endangered.
- Since the days of radio entertainment, the sound of crickets chirping has been used as an indication that a scene is taking place late at night.
- Mulan 1998 (Cri-kee)
- Pinocchio 1940 (Jiminy Cricket
- The Cricket Song, by Kathy Johnson
- Mr. Cricket in the Thicket, by Andy Z
- Chester Cricket, from the book The Cricket in Times Square
- Cri-kee, from the movie Mulan
- Jiminy Cricket, from the movie Pinocchio
- Lubbock Crickets , from baseball team in Buddy Holly’s hometown.