Giraffe Facts & Trivia
- Giraffes eat up to 75 pounds of food a day
- Their tongues are 18 inches long
- Giraffes have the longest tail of any mammal at 8 feet long
- Giraffes have never been observed bathing
- Even though it is extremely long, giraffe’s necks are too short to reach the ground
- The giraffe is the tallest mammal in the world
- Giraffes have one of the shortest sleep requirements of any mammal.
- Giraffes eat leaves from tall trees, typically acacia trees.
- A giraffe’s habitat is usually found in African savannas, grasslands or open woodlands.
- Giraffes are ruminants (more than one stomach).
- There is one species of giraffe, which has nine subspecies.
- Giraffes are not endangered
- Baby Giraffes stand within an hour and after only 8-10 hours run with their family.
- Giraffes spend most of their lives standing up
- Just human fingerprints, no two giraffes have the same spot pattern.
- In New Age religion the giraffe is a symbol for intuition and flexibility.
- Giraffes give birth standing up.
- Giraffes can run as fast as 35 miles an hour over short distances
- Giraffes bellow, snort, hiss and make flute-like sounds
- Giraffes are non-territorial, social animals.
- A male giraffe can weigh as much as a pick up truck!
- Male giraffes sometimes fight with their necks over female giraffes.
- Giraffes have bluish-purple tongues
- A group of giraffes is called a tower
- Kingdom: Animalia
- Phylum: Chordata
- Class: Mammalia
- Order: Artiodactyla
- Family: Giraffidae
- Madagascar, (2005)
- The Wild, (2006)
- The Last Giraffe, (1979)
- The White Giraffe Movie, (TBA)
- Giraffes Can’t Dance Song, by Asali Sunshine
- I Like The G G G Of The Giraffe, Kid Songs
- Bridget, from the movie “The Wild”
- Geoffrey, the Toys R Us mascot
- Melman, from the movie “Madagascar”
***Special Note About Comments***
WhatIsMySpiritAnimal.com is SO blessed to receive TONS of readers and commenters from all over the globe. We have thousands of participants and I would love to personally respond to each comment and question. Though I'm trying to figure out how to be more like the Octopus and have eight arms to work with, for now I only have two. This means I can only respond as time allows. If your Spirit, Totem, or Power Animal question is deeply important to you, perhaps you'll consider booking a Shamanic Spirit Animal Reading with me.