Monkey Facts & Trivia
- Apes and spider monkeys swing arm-to-arm in trees, but most monkeys don’t. Instead, they run across branches.
- Monkeys express affection and make peace with others by grooming each other.
- A group of monkeys is called a “troop.”
- Monkeys can grasp with both their fingers and their toes.
- Monkeys are most easily distinguished from apes by their tails. Apes have no tails.
- There are currently 264 known monkey species.
- Apes are not monkeys
- Different monkey species eat a variety of foods, such as fruit, insects, flowers, leaves and reptiles.
- Most monkeys have tails.
- Monkey are part of the primate family.
- Monkeys can live in trees, grasslands, mountains , forests or on high plains
- Monkeys eat fruit, grass, leaves, eggs, insects and spiders.
- While many monkey species are not in danger, there are some that are very close to extinction.
- Monkeys use vocalizations, facial expressions, and body movements to communicate.
- It is common for monkeys to carry tuberculosis, hepatitis, and simian herpes B
- Old World monkeys have 32 teeth. New World monkeys have 36.
- Some monkeys live on the ground, while others live in trees.
- Groups of monkeys are known as a ‘tribe’, ‘troop’ or ‘mission’.
- Pygmy Marmoset is the smallest type of monkey,
- The Mandrill is the largest type of monkey
- Spider monkeys get their name because of their long arms, legs and tail.
- Monkeys also have their own unique set of fingerprints just like humans
- Monkeys swing on trees to stay away from predators.
- Monkeys have an IQ of 174.
- The loudest monkey is the Howler Monkey.
- The monkey is the 9th animal that appears on the Chinese zodiac, appearing as the zodiac sign in 2016.
- When a troop of howler monkeys yell, they can be heard for up to three miles.
- Monkeys are most easily distinguished from apes by their tails. Apes have no tails
- Kingdom: Animalia
- Phylum: Chordata
- Class: Mammalia
- Order: Primates
- Space Chimps (2008)
- Curious George (2006)
- Monkey Bone (2001)
- Dr. Dolittle (1998)
- Hanuman (1998)
- Monkey Trouble (1994)
- Dunston Checks In (1996)
- Project X (1987)
- Brass Monkey by Beastie Boys
- Everybody’s Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey by The Beatles
- Monkey by Counting Crows
- Monkey Gone To Heaven by The Pixies
- Monkey Man by The Rolling Stones
- Monkey Wrench by Foo Fighters
- Proudest Monkey by Dave Matthews Band
- Shake Me Like a Monkey by Dave Matthews Band
- Shock Monkey by Peter Gabriel
- Sleepy Monkey by Widespread Panic
- Tweeter and the Monkey Man by Traveling Wilburys
- Abu, from the movie “Aladdin”
- Binks,from movie “Outbreak” (1995) and “George of the Junge”
- Boots, from the animated TV show “Dora the Explorer”
- Curious George, from the movie “Curious George”
- Dunston, from the movie “Dunston Checks In”
- Rafiki, from the movie “The Lion King”
- Mason, from the movie “Madagascar”
***Special Note About Comments***
WhatIsMySpiritAnimal.com is SO blessed to receive TONS of readers and commenters from all over the globe. We have thousands of participants and I would love to personally respond to each comment and question. Though I'm trying to figure out how to be more like the Octopus and have eight arms to work with, for now I only have two. This means I can only respond as time allows. If your Spirit, Totem, or Power Animal question is deeply important to you, perhaps you'll consider booking a Shamanic Spirit Animal Reading with me.